Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Friday's Here But Sunday's Comin'

This old saying pertains to the hope of Easter and I borrow it here for the hope of spring. Three 50lb bags of potatoes are sitting in our basement, ready to be cut up and planted. We'll need a big crew for that. The potato area soil is still too wet to plow and plant but with the few days of sunshine predicted, who knows.
 
Last week Reem's Creek Nursery donated some 2009 seed to add to our order. Lots of greens and pole beans in this tray just waiting for the soil to warm a bit. I had always waited till warm weather to plant beans until I learned that some folks swear by Good Friday as a planting date. It took a few years for me to get up my nerve but only once in the last fifteen years have I been disappointed. You might give it a try. An early planting like that seems to beat the bean beetles to the punch.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: